Earn a Masters of Science in Education
Our students say the Newman University Graduate Education programs are a life-changing experience (see Student Testimonials at the right!)
We work hard to ensure our students leave as even more caring and reflective practitioners who are intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually motivated to transform themselves, their school or organization, and society.
Praxis Pass Rates
Our students' average pass rate for the ESOL endorsement is 94%; our Reading Specialist pass rate is 100%, our Building Leadership pass rate is 99.9%, and our District Leadership program is 100%!
Main Campus: 3100 McCormick, Wichita, Kansas 67213
Western Kansas Center: 236 San Jose, Dodge City, Kansas 67801
Southeast Kansas Center: 1057 W. College Avenue, Independence, Kansas 67301
We also teach embedded ESOL Endorsement Courses at various sites in Wichita, Coffeyville, Liberal, Garden City, Dodge City, Great Bend, Sublette, Satanta, Lakin, Deerfield, and Andover. Call us to see about adding your site today!
MSED & Licensure Programs
WE offer opportunities for four different master’s degrees
CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION with an emphasis in esol (english for speakers of other languages)
In the Newman ESOL Curriculum and Instruction graduate degree program candidates will gain a strong knowledge base of the effective instructional strategies necessary for optimal student learning, as well as fundamentals of educational research, professional writing and curriculum. In addition, graduates are prepared with leadership skill sets necessary to improve the quality of education in highly diverse settings. Teachers who earn our Prek-12 ESOL Licensure Endorsement can apply these five courses towards this degree. If you earned your endorsement at another institution, we can transfer four of your courses to this degree. Our ESOL Praxis pass rate is 94%.
CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION with an emphasis in reading specialist
The Reading Specialist Curriculum and Instruction graduate degree program places emphasis on the design and organization of a school reading program, the development of knowledge and beliefs about reading, accessing literature and informational text, the reciprocity of reading and writing, and the leadership skills for implementation. For those with a master’s degree already, a Prek-12 Reading Specialist Licensure is also available through Newman, leading to an initial 2-year Reading Specialist License. Our Reading Specialist Praxis pass rate is 100%.
The Newman University Building Leadership graduate degree program is leading the field in current knowledge and pedagogy for developing educators with the critical skill sets to be the leaders our children and schools deserve. Candidates “learn by doing”. They evaluate their school to identify possible areas of need, then research and incorporate best practices, analyze and propose school policy, and design, implement and lead projects to enhance and improve their school. For those with a master’s degree already, a Prek-12 Building Leadership Licensure is also available through Newman. Our Building Leadership Praxis pass rate is 99%.
DISTRICT LEADERSHIP LICENSURE PROGRAM
The Newman University District Leadership Licensure Program positions candidates with the PreK-12 Building Leadership License to serve as central office administrators, including the Superintendency. This 5-course program can be completed in less than one year! The District Leadership Praxis pass rate is 100%.
Organizational Leadership candidates for this degree do not have to be licensed teachers to develop their potential for leadership in diverse settings including those in military, government, health care, corporate, small business, nonprofit, religious or education. Candidates learn the soft skills needed in today’s multicultural, interconnected, and complex work environments. Candidates’ own performance is enhanced, as well as their ability to coach others to achieve peak performance through the intense study of the International Coach Federation competencies, and the opportunities this program offers to apply leadership skills through relevant workplace improvement projects.
About Our Faculty
School of Graduate Education
Our caring, experienced, practitioner instructors have all held leadership positions in Prek-12 schools, and support candidates through innovative course design and delivery, as well as rich and timely feedback which are the hallmarks of Newman’s Outcomes Based “personal touch” programs. We treat students like family and make learning fun, and our respect for and flexibility with full time working students is a degree of difference you will not find at other institutions.
The diverse offering of MS.Ed. programs provide graduates the opportunity to unlock their professional potential in many professions within the field of education as well as leadership positions within organizations. Newman graduates have enhanced their skills in their current jobs, and received raises and/or promotions with salaries ranging from $40,000 to over $100,000 and achieved positions such as:
- Reading Specialist
- Literacy Coach
- Instructional Coach
- Elementary, Middle/High School Teacher
- University Adjunct Instructor
- Building Principal
- Assistant Principal
- Athletic Director
- District Superintendent
- Assistant Superintendent
- Director of Curriculum & Assessment
- Director of Special Education
- ESOL Director
- Director of Technology
- Director or Manager of a Non-Profit Organizations
Explore Our Student's Stories!
The Master of Science in Education programs truly transforms lives to make a positive impact on others. The stories below are only a few of hundreds from our loyal alumni:
- Julie P. Linville, MS.Ed, ESOL Curriculum and Instruction
- Sarah E. Hensley, MS.Ed., ESOL Curriculum and Instruction
- Trixie Goode, MS.Ed., ESOL Curriculum and Instruction
- Everardo Flores, MS.Ed., ESOL Curriculum and Instruction
- Melinda Mutuku, MS.Ed., Building Leadership
- Shawn Michaelis, MS.Ed., Building Leadership
- Jordan Lemmons, MS.Ed., Building Leadership.
- Liz Cothran, MS.Ed., Building Leadership
- Deena Hilbig, District Leadership Licensure
- Megan Rucker, MS.Ed., Organizational Leadership
- Yamir Lozada, MS.Ed., Organizational Leadership
- Tabetha Gray, MS.Ed., Organizational Leadership
- Mandy Roderick, MS.Ed., Reading Specialist C&I
- Candidates must have a current Kansas teaching license for all programs except Organizational Leadership.
- Graduate GPA (or if no graduate courses, undergraduate GPA) for ESOL C&I is 3.0, Reading Specialist C&I 3.25, Building Leadership and District Leadership Licensure 3.0, and Organizational Leadership 2.75. Contact the director if your GPA is less than these required levels for a transcript review.
- Candidates for Building Leadership must have taught 5 years.
- Candidates for the District Leadership Program must hold a Prek-12 Building Leadership License (no requirement to have been a principal)
- Application - Submit your application & $25 processing fee by clicking on the hyperlink in this line.
- Order Your Official Transcript(s)
Order your official transcripts documenting receipt of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university by visiting the school website or use one of the following online transcript request services: Student Clearinghouse or Parchment
- Note: If your undergraduate degree is from Newman University, you do not need to request that transcript.
- If you have taken graduate courses within 6 years of your projected graduation date that you want to be considered for transferring towards your degree, order the official graduate transcript(s), also.
Licensure Only Applicants
include the “u” after newman or we will not receive it!).
THAT'S IT! One of our professors will contact you when your application is complete to create a Plan of Study for you and send information on enrollment!
Questions? Please contact Graduate Admissions at 316-942-4291x2437
Thank you for your interest in the Graduate Education Program!